The two-stage gas valve is at the heart of the comfort provided by this furnace, along with the variable-speed ECM blower motor, and two-speed inducer motor. With an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) up to 96.0%, the two-stage gas furnace provides exceptional savings as well when compared to standard gas furnaces. This furnace also features 4-way multipoise installation flexibility, and is available in six model sizes. The PG96VAT can be vented for direct vent/two-pipe, ventilated combustion air, or single-pipe applications. All units meet California Air Quality Management District emission requirements. All sizes are design certified in Canada.STANDARD FEATURES
Dual Fuel System Compatibility
- All sizes meet ENERGY STAR® Version 4.0 criteria for gas furnaces: 95+AFUE; AMACF electrical rating; 2% or less cabinet airflow leakage.
- Ideal height 35" (889 mm) cabinet: short enough for taller coils, but still allows enough room for service.
- Silicon Nitride Hot Surface Igniter.
- 4-way multipoise design for upflow, downflow or horizontal installations, with unique vent elbow and optional through-the-cabinet downflow venting capability.
- Full-featured variable-speed blower motor, two--speed inducer motor, and two-stage gas valve.
- Adjustable blower speed for cooling, continuous fan, and dehumidification.
- Aluminized-steel primary heat exchanger.
- Stainless-steel condensing secondary heat exchanger.
- Propane convertible
- Factory-configured ready for upflow applications.
- Fully-insulated casing including blower section.
- Convenient Air Purifier and Humidifier electrical connections.
- Direct-vent/sealed combustion, single-pipe venting or ventilated combustion air.
- Installation flexibility: sidewall or vertical vent.
- Certified to leak 2% or less of nominal air conditioning CFM delivered when pressurized to 1-in. water column with all present air inlets, air outlets, and condensate drain port(s) sealed.
- This system can providemore control over your monthly energy bills by automatically selecting the most economical method of heating. Our system automatically switches between the gas furnace and the electric heat pump as outside temperatures change to maintain greater efficiency and comfort than with any traditional single-source heating system. The heat pump also delivers high-efficiency cooling in the summer.Robust Igniter
- Payne’s unique SiN igniter is not only physically robust but it is also electrically robust. It is capable of running at line voltage and does not require complex voltage regulators as do other brands. This unique feature further enhances the gas furnace reliability and continues Payne’s tradition of
technology leadership and innovation in providing a reliable and durable product.Reliable Heat Exchanger Design
- The aluminized steel, clam shell primary heat exchanger was re-engineered to achieve greater efficiency out of a smaller size. The first two passes of the heat exchanger are based on the current 80% product, a design with more than ten years of field-proven performance and success.
These innovations, paired with the continuation of a crimped, no-weld seam create an efficient, robust design for this essential component.
The condensing heat exchanger, a stainless steel fin and tube design, is positioned in the furnace to extract additional heat. Stainless steel coupling box componentry between heat exchangers has exceptional corrosion resistance in both natural gas and propane applications.4-Way Multipoise Design
- One model for all applications – there is no need to stock special downflow or horizontal models when one unit will do it all. The new heat exchanger design allows these units to achieve the certified AFUE in all positions.Direct or Single-pipe Venting, or Optional Ventilated Combustion Air
- This furnace can be installed as a 2-pipe (Direct Vent) furnace, in an optional ventilated combustion air application, or in single-pipe, non-direct vent applications. This provides added flexibility to meet diverse installation needs.Sealed Combustion System
- This furnace brings in combustion air from outside the furnace when installed as a direct vent or ventilated combustion air venting system, which results in especially quiet operation. By sealing the entire combustion vestibule, the entire furnace can be made quieter, not just the
- The burners are specially designed and finely tuned for smooth, quiet combustion and economical operation.Bottom Closure
- Factory-installed for side return; easily removable for bottom return. The multi-use bottom closure can also serve for roll-out protection in horizontal applications, and act as the bottom closure for the optional return air base accessory.Blower Access Panel Switch
- Automatically shuts off 115-v power to furnace whenever blower access panel is opened.Quality Registration
- Our furnaces are engineered and manufactured under an ISO 9001 registered quality system.Certifications
- This furnace is CSA (AGA and CGA) design certified for use with natural and propane gases. The furnace is factory-shipped for use with natural gas. A CSA listed gas conversion kit is required to convert furnace for use with propane gas. The efficiency is AHRI efficiency rating certified. This furnace meets California Air Quality Management District emission requirements.
Warning: this product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. P65Warnings.ca.gov